If you have a small kitchen, it can be a challenge to maintain a neat and orderly work space. Fortunately, a few tips and tricks can help you pull it off. These five ideas for DIY kitchen storage can help ensure every item in your kitchen has a home.
1. Organize Your Cookware and Kitchen Utensils
Cooking in a small kitchen is much more enjoyable with a little organization. To hold cooking utensils — from whisks and spatulas to big spoons — install a metal towel rack on a kitchen wall, and then attach several metal hooks. Hang measuring cups and spoons from nails on the inside of a kitchen cupboard door, all neatly labeled for convenience.
Use homemade wooden drawer dividers to separate flatware, and hang a retractable rack along the roof of a cupboard for pots and pans. Mount a magnetic strip just above the kitchen sink or stove to create a handy home for large knives.
2. Keep Spices in Order
Little kitchens don’t often accommodate lots of spices, but passionate cooks just need to get creative. Mount a spice rack on the inside of a cupboard door, or install stick-on plastic clips that grip your spice containers. For extra-clever spice storage, use baby food jars, round magnets, hot glue, and stick-on labels to create a “spice rack” on the side of your refrigerator.
3. Arrange Cleaning Products Neatly
A few organizational tips can make it easier to tackle your kitchen cleaning. Mount caddies on the insides of cabinet doors under your kitchen sink to hold cleaning brushes, rubber gloves, and scrubbing pads. To make household cleaners easier to access, place a Lazy Susan under your sink, or store cleaners in a portable tote.
4. Make Use of Baskets, Bins, and Racks
When organizing any kitchen — big or small — baskets, bins, and racks come in handy. Place an office file rack inside a kitchen cupboard to keep baking sheets of various sizes arranged neatly. Hang under-shelf baskets from shelving or cabinet bottoms for extra coffee mugs or pantry items. If you’re lacking a pantry, mount a few open shelves and use wire or wicker baskets to store foodstuffs.
5. Use Every Inch of Kitchen Space
- To keep small kitchen decor looking clutter-free, it’s important to maximize space. You can get creative with the cabinets and limited surface area you have available by following these tips: Install Command Hooks on the insides of cupboards to hold potholders and trivets.
- Use the tops of your cabinets for seldom-used items like party platters and cake stands.
- Store appliances like mixers and crock pots on top of your refrigerator.
- Use the narrow space between your refrigerator and the wall to store a folding step stool or your mop and broom.
- Use an over-the-sink cutting board for extra meal prep space when needed.
Armed with these tips and tricks for DIY kitchen storage, you can make a small kitchen work more efficiently and appear larger. To find great storage solutions for the rest of your home or apartment, try CORT Clearance Centers for gently used cabinets, credenzas, dressers, storage ottomans, bookcases, and buffets.