Over the past 12 months, CORT has been posting a series of Expat Interviews. In 2018, our focus is changing a little and we’re going to be interviewing our Destination Consultants and posting their very special ‘Insider Insights’ into their home cities. We hope you enjoy learning about some of the key cities around the US for relocating clients.
To begin, we’re talking to Kay Miska and Amy Halvorson who work together in Minneapolis to help new arrivals. Here’s what these two good friends and colleagues want you all to know about the city that both have called home for more than 20 years:
- What do you like the most?
- Amy – For me, the thing I like the best about Minneapolis is the people. The people here definitely live up to the “Minnesota Nice” label that we are known for here! Most people are open minded and willing to help new people into our communities and will go out of their way to make things easier for others.
- Kay – I agree! Also, there is so much to do here!
- What’s the one thing you can tell us about your city that people would be surprised by/ the best kept secret perhaps:
- Kay – Minneapolis is second to New York City for stage theater performances and home to the world’s first indoor shopping mall in Edina (south suburb)
- What do your assignees like most about the city?
- Kay – It’s cleaner than most “larger” cities.
- What’s usually their biggest worry before they come?
- Amy – The biggest worry for incoming assignees is the weather here. It gets very cold in the winter and we get a lot of snow!
- Kay – Yes, definitely the winter weather and how to prepare for it.
- Amy – But, there is also a misconception about this as well. We have several months where the temperatures are moderate and even hot, in the summer! It’s fun to have 4 seasons, especially because you can have a wardrobe for every season! (Remember the indoor shopping Mall!!)
- Let’s do a quick snapshot of some prices for comparison: (as of early Jan 2018)
- Gallon of gas as of Jan. 3rd, 2018–$2.39/gal
- Pint of beer Between $5.00-8.00
- Meal out for two with drinks – mid level restaurant’ $65.00
- Monthly rent for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment in a popular area of the city $2500.00/month –downtown or Uptown Minneapolis
- Cost to buy a 4 bed 2.5 bath house in one of the popular suburbs: $450,000 and up
- What do you love most about your job?
- Kay– The transferees I meet and helping them feel at ease.
- Do you have any funny stories you could share about a time you helped someone?
- Amy – I have lots of them but one that sticks out is when one of my international customers bought a $100,000 Porsche with cash!
- Choose three words that best describe your city.
- Amy – Friendly, lots of lakes, home
- Kay – Friendly, diverse, “nice”
- What’s the best time of year to visit and why?
- Amy – I would say Fall. It’s beautiful here during the Fall season with all of the lakes and tree colors that surround our water.
- Kay – July—summers are just perfect for temperature and to see the beauty of the area.
- Is there a local/regional food item that is both awesome and unique to your home town?
- Amy – Try some walleye, it’s our local fish and it is delicious!
- Kay – We are Home to the “Juicy, Lucy” burgers / hot-dish is a popular dinner item (casserole) / Honeycrisp apples were invented in Minnesota!
Thanks so much Kay and Amy! hang in there – it will be Spring before you know it!
If you have any questions you’d like to ask our local experts about their home city, please contact us: email@example.com. We’re happy to provide ‘insider insights’. More to come next month!