Congratulations! Graduation has passed and you are starting your next big adventure. Very often, this step in your life involves moving to a new apartment or home. Without the services of a moving company, however, this can quickly become a laborious task – exhausting and tedious for everyone involved.
Fortunately, there are simple organizational tricks that can ensure your big move is a breeze. Here are a few ways to take the dread out of moving so you can begin your post-grad life with ease:
- Prioritize based on use. Pack the items you know will need first, such as toilet paper, paper towels or cleaning supplies, in clear plastic bins so that you have easy access when you arrive at your new place. Using clear bins will also separate these items from the piles and piles of cardboard boxes that will be filling up your new living space, allowing you to easily locate your essential items.
- Save money on the small stuff. Instead of buying bubble wrap, use towels and old shirts to wrap your breakables. Not only will this keep your fragile possessions safe but it also serves double-duty for packing your clothes!
- Use your time wisely. Leave your items in their respective drawers to reduce unpacking time. Slipping a garbage bag over hanging clothes will also help with closet organization in your new place. Any steps that simplify the unpacking process will save you time, energy and frustration!
- Do the prep work. This may seem like a no-brainer, but labeling the items in your boxes and the room they go in will make the unpacking process smoother. In addition, make sure you snap photos of your old and new place when they are empty to help you avoid unnecessary fines for apartment damages. Taking pictures of how your electronics are wired will also help prevent headaches when you put them back together.
- Update your billing address. Start your moving process early. Make sure to change your address with your bank, the post office and any important services you may need, such as utilities and cable, two weeks prior to your move to avoid missing payments on bills or losing mail.
Moving doesn’t have to be a hassle. By keeping yourself organized, you will help reduce your stress throughout the process so you can enjoy your new place.
For related CORT Corner posts on moving or post-grad living: